Bluegrass Conservancy is a fulfilling place to work. As the first nationally accredited land trust in Kentucky, we care about the “how” behind land conservation as much as the “what.”
That means you’d be joining a fast-paced conservation organization dedicated to nonprofit excellence as well as growing capacity to help protect local families protect their land. We are also working on partnering with area farms and community groups to provide programs that provide value to local farmers and also create opportunities for people to connect with the land.
Bluegrass Conservancy is currently seeking a full-time Development Coordinator to perform a range of activities supporting all aspects of the development, fundraising, and donor stewardship programs with a primary focus on donor database management, gift processing, acknowledgements, and maintaining donor relations. He/she will also provide prospect research/tracking for fundraising initiatives and campaigns. This is a new position and will be primarily responsible for supporting the Executive Director to coordinate fund development to include annual, major and planned gifts, special projects, and grant writing for the purpose of obtaining individual, foundation, and corporate support. The Development Coordinator may also assist with other special projects as determined by the Executive Director.
This position will be responsible for:
- Focusing on major gift fundraising from individuals, corporations, and foundations in support of Bluegrass Conservancy (BGC) and managing a portfolio of 150+ major gift prospects at the $1,000+ level;
- Conducting/coordinating at least 50 personal donor visits annually to develop relationships with major donors and prospects;
- Maintaining donor data and contacts in a database system (DonorPerfect) to ensure complete and accurate information on the donor/prospect;
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive fundraising plan to meet or exceed annual fundraising goals per the budget;
- Working with the BGC Staff, Board, and Development Committee to identify and pursue support from various revenue sources for annual operations and special projects;
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge and understanding of development techniques and fundraising best practices to interact with donors and their advisors on charitable gifts;
- Supporting the mission of BGC and maintaining a working knowledge of priority campaigns, programs, and land conservation techniques.
- Bachelor’s degree and specialized training in fundraising practices or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2 years of development experience with proven success in building fundraising programs and in securing major gifts at the five and six-figure level required.
- Demonstrated experience in engaging and building relationships with highly rated prospects and donors and ability to communicate BGC’s mission and programs.
- Experience with and interest in land protection preferred.
- Knowledge of both on-line and off-line fundraising best practices.
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to build and foster relationships and demonstrating high standards of tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency with databases, preferably DonorPerfect and Microsoft Office Suite.
- The ability to travel and attend evening meetings and weekend events.
Send letters of interest and resume to Elizabeth Buxton, Executive Director, Bluegrass Conservancy, 380 South Mill Street, Suite 205, Lexington, KY 40508 or email email@example.com.
Why I Care
“I have called the Bluegrass my home since I was about 4 years old and have always been in love with the land and people. After I joined the staff in 2012, I was inspired to purchase a homestead in rural Scott County. My husband, young son and I love to walk our wildflower trails and creek bed looking for deer tracks, turkey feathers and crayfish in almost any kind of weather. I believe Bluegrass Conservancy helps protect this land for my son so he can someday do the same with his children.”
Bluegrass Conservancy Office Manager